1. It is the philosophy of Checkmate Lacrosse that every player can benefit from sound fundamental instruction. Often players at a very young age learn the game on their own without sound fundamental technique. These bad habits can become impossible to alter if allowed to go on uncorrected. Every player will be instructed in proper stick handling, throwing and catching mechanics, shooting, dodging, scooping, and defensive techniques.
2. One of the basic beliefs of the Checkmate Lacrosse is that players learn more when they have fun. As a result, we balance our fundamental instructional drills with competitive competition to ensure maximum participation and improvement.
3. It is our belief that players best learn position skills by rehearsing specific positional situations and reactions. We will drill players on the situations that arise in each position, as well as the appropriate reactions to a variety of game situations. Players will learn from both an offensive and defensive perspective.
4. We believe that players must learn the proper way to move with a stick, coordinating their body and stick movements both with and without the ball.
5. We believe that attending CHECKMATE Lacrosse Camp is only the first step in improving as a player. Real improvement comes when a player practices the skills taught at the camp. We will send players home with stick drills in areas that need work.
6. We believe that the character of a camper is as important as the ability of the camper. As a result, we will require that our players treat their instructors as well as each other, with respect. We will expect hustle, motivation, and proper behavior at all times.